Sunday, March 21, 2010

Day 1

well I have planted 3 rhizomes that I ordered from fresh hops. The rhizomes are Cascade, Newport and Nugget. I selected them because they have a hardy reputation and high yield. It is a little late in the year so I am nervous but I've got to give it a shot.

I dug 3 holes 18" deep by 2.5'' diameter aech 7' apart and back filled them with cow manure/mulch/native soil. The native soil is a silty clay very typical to the Arizona alluvial fan. I mounded the soil about 6'' over the top of each hole. I then planted the rhizomes about 2'' under the top of the mound and lightly covered them. I then covered the mounds with 4-6'' of mulch.

I have a 10gph spray emitter on each mound. I have them set to run 3mins every 3 hours at the moment. Now I'm just going to wait and see how this works out. I will update when there is a change. If anyone has any advice ide love to get because I'm kind working without much information for my climate and area.

No comments:

Post a Comment